When A24 first asked Academy Voters to consider James Franco‘s performance as Alien in Harmony Korine’s Spring Breakers many, myself included, viewed it as a marketing stunt. Since then however the studio has never stopped believing in the film and the iconic character it managed to create. Last week cult director John Waters singled out Spring Breakers as his favorite film of the year. The film holds a fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes and also got mostly favorable reviews on Meta Critic.
While I still believe that it’s highly unlikely that Franco will even be nominated, A24’s committed marketing effort to keep promoting the film even months after its home video release have to be commended. The consideration video is well-edited and shows some of Franco more dramatic acting, instead of him reciting funnier and more coarse lines. At the end Faith (Selena Gomez) asks Alien: “Are you being serious?” and he replies “What do you think?”, which could of course also be read in view of their Oscar campaign. Simple, but genius.
From Around the Web
- Film: Newswire: Franco This: James Franco writes a rave review of James Franco in Spring Breakers
- James Franco’s ‘Spring Breakers’ Character Is Awesome, Says James Franco
- Franco on Franco: Spring Breakers is the best, and in it, I am the best.
- James Franco praises ‘Spring Breakers’
- Product placement in pictures: Spring Breakers